Please note details on availability at the end of this description!
The solution to today’s proliferation of wheel types is a small inventory of spokes, spoke blanks and a spoke machine.
Our spoke cutting and threading (SCT) tool is a must for any bicycle workshop. If there is a Rolls Royce of spoke machines, this is it. It comes complete, including a manual describing function, maintenance, and trouble shooting. Over 500 are in use with shops, builders, wheel and bike factories. Every day they crank out thousands of crucial length spokes so the pedal, pedal assist, hand powered, and eBikes of today can be built and maintained.
The only one
While there is a choice of spoke machines (Phil, Kowa, Cyclus, Hozan) none rivals the tool by Morizumi Masakazu. It is head and shoulders above the rest, designed by a perfectionist with a career of spoke manufacturing experience. Mr Morizumi learned his trade at Asahi Spoke in Japan (partner of Wheelsmith in its early years).
The machine offers options and features obvious to a spoke manufacturer but not available in other machines (none of which was created by a spoke maker). Robust for mass production plus exceptional compactness for any workshop layout make this machine the best investment.
Customers enjoy 100% satisfaction, phenomenal quality and finish. Please visit the many articles in our library about this unique device. Hard to imagine one that would not pay off in one or two years. To download the current Operation Manual, click here. A quick video tour (2011 but still accurate) is here.
- Spoke cutting is ultra precise for both J-bend and straight pull spokes. The cutter is a two part shear. One die is a hardened, round tube that supports the spoke shaft. Across its ground face slides a sharp, blade. The cut is accurate and perpendicular. This is the method used in spoke manufacturing and precision industrial wire work.
- Spoke gauge is set in seconds by moving a toggle switch up or down 1cm.
- Thread depth can be micro adjusted. In this way, more longer life can be enjoyed from threading dies, and off-diameter wire can be used.
- Threading is fast and easy. Combined with cutting to length, our machine will support production rates of 400-500 spokes per hour with consistency and lack of jamming that is unsurpassed.
- The machine does not accumulate debris. There are no areas that become filled or spoiled by spoke cutting metal bits. Even so, it’s easy to fully disassemble for inspection and cleaning. No tools are required.
- The threading dies are extremely long lived. These fine, proprietary Japanese dies can last for as many as 50,000 threadings.
The SCT is shipped with a 14g/15G die set. To also cut and thread 12G and 13G, a second set is required. Switching is easy. Jams are rare. Parts are in stock. Make the wheel world work for you, not you for it.
Please check this summary to see all the current spoke machine delivers. Beginning Sep, each SCT ships with three accessories (available separately for previous buyers):
(1) Wheel Fanatyk Oiler – 8.5oz high pressure oil gun for all needs.
(2) Wheel Fanatyk Thread Inspector – illuminated 20X magnifier to check threads.
(3) SCT Stainless Base Tray – heavy gauge polished tray with holes for mounting.
The ruler for spoke cutting is now equipped with a magnifier, making it easy to confidently cut to 0.5mm accuracy.
Spokes are expensive these days and many different lengths are needed to support all the wheel brands and possible combinations. The scene has never been so diverse. The best way to meet this challenge is with a spoke cutter. The world contains millions of spokes that are the WRONG length, that will take decades to sell. Now is the time to cut them to the length needed. Spoke overstock is everywhere. Just keep your eyes open. In the meantime, blanks from every spoke maker have never been so easy to source.
8/1/18—Availability outlook. Next shipment arrives in September. ETA will be updated here as it becomes more precise. 20 machines are scheduled so all backorders should be filled. You can buy here (backorder with full payment) or be added to the queue (email: ric at wheelfanatyk dot com).