Notice: price (which was unchanged since 2011, when it dropped from $3200) is $3300.
The solution to today’s service and small scale production scene is spoke blanks, a spoke machine, and a reduce inventory of finished spokes.
The Morizumi spoke cutting and threading (SCT) tool is a must for any bicycle workshop. It comes complete, including maintenance, and trouble shooting. Over 500 are in use worldwide. Every day they crank out thousands of crucial length spokes so today’s pedal, pedal assist, hand powered, and eBikes can be built and maintained.
The only one
While there is a choice of spoke machines (Phil, Kowa, Cyclus, Hozan) none rivals the tool by Morizumi Masakazu. It is head and shoulders above the rest, designed by a perfectionist with a career of spoke manufacturing experience. Mr Morizumi learned his trade at Asahi Spoke in Japan (partner of Wheelsmith in its early years).
The machine offers options and features obvious to a spoke manufacturer but not available in other machines (none were designed by a spoke maker). Designed for mass production and compact for a small workshop.
Customers enjoy 100% satisfaction, phenomenal quality and finish. Please visit the articles in our library about this unique tool. Most pay off in one or two years. To download the current Operation Manual, click here. A quick video tour is here.
- Spoke cutting is ultra precise for both J-bend and straight pull spokes. The cutter is a two part shear. One die is a round tube that supports the spoke shaft. Across its ground face slides a hardened blade. The cut is accurate and perpendicular. This is the method used for precision industrial wire work.
- Spoke gauge is set in seconds by moving a toggle switch up or down.
- Thread depth is micro adjustable. Longer die life can be enjoyed and off-diameter wire can be used.
- Threading is fast and easy. Combined with cutting to length, our machine will support production rates of 400-500 spokes per hour with consistency and lack of jamming that is unsurpassed.
- The machine does not accumulate debris. There are no areas that become filled or spoiled by spoke cutting metal bits. Even so, it’s easy to fully disassemble for inspection and cleaning. No tools are required.
- The threading dies are extremely long lived. Dies can last for as many as 50,000 threadings per face. Beginning in 2019, thread dies are duplex—2 sided for double die life.
- The ruler for spoke cutting is equipped with a magnifier, making it easy to confidently cut to 0.5mm accuracy.
The SCT is shipped for 14g/15G and can also be configured for the following pairs of gauges (between which switching is done by a single knob).
- 14 and 15G
- 13 and 14G
- 12 and 13G
Make the wheel world work for you, not you for it. When ordering, include your setup choice as a comment at checkout.
Please view this summary of the current spoke machine. Each SCT ships with three accessories (available separately for previous buyers):
(1) Wheel Fanatyk Oiler – 8.5oz high pressure oil gun for all needs.
(2) Wheel Fanatyk Thread Inspector – illuminated 20X magnifier to check threads.
(3) SCT Stainless Base Tray – heavy gauge polished tray with holes for mounting.
(4) Six Wera hex plus drivers for optimum maintenance and adjustment of your machine.
Fine spokes are expensive and many different lengths are needed to support all wheel brands and combinations. Our scene has never been so diverse. The way to meet this challenge is with a spoke cutter. The world contains millions of spokes that are the WRONG length, that will take decades to sell. Now is the time to cut them to the length needed. Spoke overstock is everywhere. Just keep your eyes open. In the meantime, blanks from every spoke maker have never been so easy to source.
Recent (8/13/19) customer feedback:“ I had an inquiry from a manufacturer… who needed spokes cut to the specifications in the attached file. They couldn’t find this anywhere – especially in the small quantities they needed (4000-6000 pcs/year). They asked me if I could make them. I experimented with some ,,, long barrel blanks – just had to do a little math, created steps for each one… Just completed 200 pcs of each with 0.70/margin per unit, or about $165/hour at the Morizumi. Couldn’t do this with a Phil! This contract alone pays for a machine that has already paid for itself many times over.”