Good news—as of Apr 8 we have 9 in stock. More are scheduled through May, so for the time being, supply is good.
Spokes (blanks and finished) + spoke machine = much reduced spoke inventory + correct lengths on demand!
Our Morizumi spoke cutting and threading (SCT) tool comes complete for all gauges and over 500 are in worldwide use. Each day they crank out thousands of crucial length spokes so today’s pedal, pedal assist, hand powered, and eBikes can be built and maintained.
The only one
While there is a choice of spoke machines (Phil, Kowa, Cyclus, Hozan) none rivals the tool by Morizumi Masakazu. It was designed by a perfectionist with a career of spoke manufacturing experience. Mr Morizumi learned his trade at Asahi Spoke in Japan (partner of Wheelsmith in our early years).
The machine offers options and features obvious to a spoke manufacturer but not available in other machines (no others were designed by a spoke maker)—created for mass production and compact for a workshop. Users enjoy near 100% satisfaction, exceptional quality, and superb finish.
- Spoke cutting is ultra precise for both J-bend and straight pull spokes. The cutter is a two part shear. One die is round and supports the spoke shaft. Across its ground face slides a hardened blade. The cut is accurate and perpendicular. This shearing action is the method used for precision industrial wire work.
- Spoke gauge is set in seconds by moving a toggle switch up or down. Each machine can be set up for a pair of gauges—14/15G, 13/14G, or 12/13G.
- Thread depth is micro-adjustable supporting longer die life and off-diameter wire can be used.
- Threading is fast and easy. Combined with cutting to length, our machine supports production rates of 400-500 spokes per hour with unsurpassed consistency and lack of jamming.
- The machine does not accumulate debris. There are no areas that become filled or spoiled by spoke cutting metal bits. Even so, it’s easy to fully disassemble for inspection and cleaning—no tools are required.
- The threading dies are extremely long lived. Dies can last for 50k-100k threadings.
- The ruler for spoke cutting is equipped with a magnifier, making it easy to confidently cut to 0.5mm accuracy.
- Included: stainless base pan, 250ml oiler, 40X illuminated magnifier, 6-piece Wera allen wrench set, our bronze bristle brush, and 25pg Operation Manual.
When ordering, please specify which gauge setup you wish to receive. Changing setup in the future can be done without additional parts but it is a patient operation, best undertaken after some use experience.
Make the wheel world work for you, not you for it. When ordering, include your setup choice as a comment at checkout.
Please view this summary of the current spoke machine. Each SCT ships with three accessories (available separately for previous buyers):
(1) Wheel Fanatyk Oiler – 8.5oz high pressure oil gun for all needs.
(2) Wheel Fanatyk Thread Inspector – illuminated 20X magnifier to check threads.
(3) SCT Stainless Base Tray – heavy gauge polished tray with holes for mounting.
(4) Six Wera hex plus drivers for optimum maintenance and adjustment of your machine.
(5) Bronze bristle brush for cleaning the die working surfaces.
Fine spokes are expensive and many different lengths are needed to support all wheel brands and combinations. Our scene has never been so diverse. The way to meet this challenge is with a spoke cutter. The world contains millions of spokes that are the WRONG length, that will take decades to sell. Now is the time to cut them to the length needed. Spoke overstock is everywhere. Just keep your eyes open. In the meantime, blanks from every spoke maker have never been so easy to source.
Recent (8/13/19) customer feedback:“ I had an inquiry from a manufacturer… who needed spokes cut to the specifications in the attached file. They couldn’t find this anywhere – especially in the small quantities they needed (4000-6000 pcs/year). They asked me if I could make them. I experimented with some ,,, long barrel blanks – just had to do a little math, created steps for each one… Just completed 200 pcs of each with 0.70/margin per unit, or about $165/hour at the Morizumi. Couldn’t do this with a Phil! This contract alone pays for a machine that has already paid for itself many times over.”