Note: 11/19 — We are temporarily out of tensiometers. Our anodizer’s tank heater failed, it’s back on line, but this makes a delay on the next series. We will likely begin shipping again near end of November. You are welcome to place an order (it will be listed as backorder) and we’ll ship ASAP. Thanks!
Optimizing spoke tension is the key to building long lasting wheels and tensiometers make this possible for novices and easier for experienced builders.
Wheel Fanatyk Tensiometers are among the most accurate, durable, convenient, simple, and logical available. Created by HP engineer Jobst Brandt in the 1970’s, this tool’s format has stood the test of time.
Our models are made to ever-higher tolerances, employing ultra accurate indicators. There are also optional output system for direct output from digital models to any computer.
- Compact design, easy to handle, the gauge is protected from damage or becoming entangled in spokes.
- Higher accuracy at low and moderate tensions.
- Tools come with a 26 page Owner’s Manual; a laminated Tension Chart (for gauge reading conversion); and a memory stick with supporting materials.
- You also have your choice of cases, or none. More on cases here.
All come with a 1-year warranty and lifetime recalibration privilege.
Each tensiometer is serially numbered and I personally build and calibrate each tool..
All besides the indicator is made in the US. Load is applied by a calibrated spring from Lee Spring, founded in Brooklyn in 1918 by Robert Johannsen, Lee is a global, ISO certified, spring specialist.
We currently offer three models.
- Dial uses a traditional analog indicator. Download the Dial Tensiometer Owner’s Manual here. We like this model because of its simplicity—it’s most like the ones Jobst built 40yrs ago.
- Digital uses an iGaging electronic indicator with 3yr battery. It can output data with an optional foot pedal output kit listed separately. This is our biggest seller—best value, data output able, fastest zero function, and largest display. Download the Digital Tensiometer Owner’s Manual here.
- Digimatic uses a Mitutoyo electronic indicator. We like this if you use a Mitutoyo data output standard which is compatible with certain software and data management systems. Mitutoyo indicators are legendary for their stability and accuracy but this model is not fundamentally more accurate than the other two. Its manual is the same as Digital. Its optional foot pedal output system is different.
All three are individually calibrated to the Conversion Chart (mm deflection => kgf tension). Download here.
You can choose between two protective cases—info here, or none.
Please see our Library for articles and a movie describing its use.
Note: We recently switched to Mitutoyo for the Digimatic model because the iGaging indicator was changed and is no longer suitable. For assistance with older Wheel Fanatyk, FSA, or Avocet indicators, please send us a message. We can sort out details or calibrate any of those units.