Our white van was rolling south on I-5 to Sacramento to booth 85 at the North American Hand Built Bicycle Show (NAHBS). Missed several years but excited to announce new products and meet many of you lucky to attend (Fri-Sun, 2/26-2/28/16). Press response was great.
The Return of Spline Nipples
Spoke nipples with non-square drive have been popularized by Mavic and DT but nipples with splined engagement were only available to builders for a few years in the mid-1990’s. Many of us loved them, I spec’d them on FSA wheels in 2006 but you can’t find them today. Aha, that’s changed. At NAHBS we announced the availability of nipples (14G, 2024-T6 alloy, 7 colors) and wrenches.
More technical details are coming but, in summary:
- This is the same standard as covered by US Patent US5673976, so entirely compatible with any splined nipples or wheels you may encounter.
- These are 12mm length (as other nipples are measured) and understandably lighter (but stronger) than any others.
- It’s impossible to damage the nipple with torque. Anodizing will not be scratched and excessive torque will break the spoke first.
- Building is identical except the wrench is more stable and less inclined to fall off with inattention. Wrenches fit every 60 degrees, not 90, as with square drive.
Mitutoyo Instrumentation and Download Systems for Wheel Fanatyk Tensiometers
Now the World’s most all-around accurate tensiometer is powered by the World leader in metrology. We’re proud to introduce analog (dial) and digital models and multiple download systems that are cross platform compatible. One includes a foot switch for ultimate speed. More details coming 3/7.
So Much is New for 2016
- Shuffle box pointed dividers to speed nipple sorting.
- Nipple Bath lubrication and drain system.
- Pedro’s new-for-2016 spoke wrenches, not like any others!
- Slippery, food safe, odorless wheel building oil.
- Important updates to the Spoke Cutting and Threading Machine.
- Z-Bend Spoke Repair Pliers.
Thanks to all who visited at NAHBS 2016. We enjoyed your stories and feedback.