Create replacement spokes of any length with this reincarnation of Eldi’s legendary spoke plier. Look here for the complete story.
The tool is hardened steel, 9″ long, weighs 13oz. Use 2 hands to squeeze a spoke to shape but no extraordinary strength required. This is a perfect sleeper tool to save the day for a utility or kids bike, or charity ride bike. You can even insert spokes behind a cassette or disk without removal.
(1) Inexpensive, maker’s MSRP is $29.
(2) Compact enough to live in any versatile wheel shop or with a mass ride support program.
(3) Overbuilt, for indefinite lifespan.
(1) A wire cutter is needed to first trim the right length from a spare spoke,
(2) Takes a 2 handed squeeze but any other solution would add cost and weight.
(3) This Z shape is ideal for 2mm thick flanges, perfect for cheap and steel hubs. Better hubs have 3mm flanges. For these, the bend is good for elbow-inside fitting, for elbow outside, simple insert the spoke and force the shaft down to the desired angle. Thumbs will do.
In time of need, when everyone is resigned to a DNF, whip out this baby and be a hero. Embrace time-tested solutions on your quest to become a complete builder. Oh yes, plenty of practice on junk wheels first!