If you’re going to use aluminum nipples for lower rotating weight and attractive colors, then splined drive is your smart option. Used in proprietary form by wheel companies (Mavic, DT, etc.), this method has not been successfully commercialized until now. Our splined nipples are:
• Lighter than square drive
• Cannot strip (spoke breaks first)
• Aerospace aluminum (2024-T6)
• Nearly impossible to scratch color
• A wrench fit every 60° rather than 90°
• Sleek, distinctive, better, available now
For a more complete discussion of the advantages, read here.